Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting at the truth [ATTN CHRISTIAN]
Kyler Caulfield-Brooks

PU 1 | Cunning 1 | Honor 1 | Purity 1 | Common Sense 1 | Flaw: Anxiety Disorder, paranoia

It had only been a few weeks since everything went down with Rebecca. Kyler had had a lot of feelings and thoughts he needed to unpack in the aftermath, some of which he’d talked through with his Mate, and some of it with his mentor who was now the Beta of Chrysaor.

He’d seen Christian shortly after they’d returned home, but he hadn’t seen or heard from the older Irraka since. Ky figured Christian was busy with pack stuff, or perhaps he was just letting Ky try to work through everything for now. Either way, the fact that he hadn’t heard from the man hadn’t worried Kyler too much.

Life had returned to normal...or their normal anyway...in the weeks since. Marcus headed off to work most day, and Ky stayed home. He kept himself busy doing various things like running, exercise routines, and reading among other things.

Today he’d started out in the gym in the former DU complex, and then he went on a rather long run. Once he was home, he took a shower and did some tidying up around the house before he curled up on the couch with a book.
Christian Fitzgerald

Presence 3 | Ambidextrous | Direction Sense | Fading | Trained Observer 1 | Primal Urge 3 | Cunning 3, Honor 2, Purity 2

There were a number of reasons that Christian hadn't come by, some of which were what Kyler expected: settling into his new role in the pack was taking some getting used to, both for himself and the other members who were still sizing him up for filling Jake's shoes after the Ithaeur's departure.

Certain questions lingered after his last conversation with Kyler, however, and it was those that led the Irakka to the cabin where his young student lived, a sharp knock on the door announcing his presence.
Kyler Caulfield-Brooks

PU 1 | Cunning 1 | Honor 1 | Purity 1 | Common Sense 1 | Flaw: Anxiety Disorder, paranoia

Kyler hadn't been expecting anyone, so the knock startled him. He closed his book and set it on the coffee table. He paused as he headed toward the door, momentarily considering putting on a shirt. But he'd have to run upstairs to get one...it would take too long. So when he opened the door, he stood in the doorway in a pair of black basketball shorts and no shirt revealing the nasty scar across the left side of his abdomen.

He opened his mouth to say something, a quip about Christian being too busy to stop by, on the tip of this tongue - but he didn't say it.

"Hey," he said instead as he stepped aside to allow the other Irraka into the cabin.
Christian Fitzgerald

Presence 3 | Ambidextrous | Direction Sense | Fading | Trained Observer 1 | Primal Urge 3 | Cunning 3, Honor 2, Purity 2

The new scar naturally caught the Menina's attention, an eyebrow arching upward as he looked it over before turning his attention back to the man himself.

"Hey."  Christian replied, giving a little nod as he entered.  "That's from up north, I take it?"
Kyler Caulfield-Brooks

He glanced down at the scar and as he turned to lead Christian to the sitting area.

"Uhhh, yeah," he said with a shrug. "I...uhh...I didn't even realize I was doing it. But, admittedly, a part of me wanted to wear this mark. So, clearly, I made it happen I guess."

Kyler took a seat in one of the chairs, leaving the sofa or another chair open for Christian to choose from. Again he thought about asking Christian what had kept him away for a couple of weeks, but he decided not to. And, oddly, he found himself at a loss as to what to say at all. So, he watched the other Irraka for a moment to see if he had something he wished to say first.
Christian Fitzgerald

"Seems like it.  Got a few that I've kept to tell the story of what happened."  Kyler had seen some of them during their time training together, in fact; a burnt patch of skin along one side, a spider bite writ large on his left shoulder and whatnot.

Christian took the other seat rather than the couch, looking the young Irakka over.  There were times that he took a more meandering path to find the information he sought but others where he took a more direct approach, and the question lingered on the best method for this particular visit.  "What did happen up there, out of curiosity?  You didn't go into too much detail before."
Kyler Caulfield-Brooks

”I told you,” he said, nervously rubbing the back of his neck as flashes of that day played through his mind. ”She came for Marcus...”

She’d come at a very vulnerable moment...not that he could explain that.

”I barely got out of the fight alive,” he was pretty sure he’d have died were it not for Marcus. But that was another bit he had to leave out. ”I mostly just remember little bits, feelings. I remember feeling like I was one step behind...”

And then Marcus shifted. It took Ky by surprise, but it had also taken Rebecca by surprise.

”And I don’t remember actually killing her. I wish I did. I wish I could remember what she looked like when she died. But I don’t. I killed her and then wrecked a lot of innocent trees.”

He followed his comment about the trees up with a little crooked smile. He knew Christian could tell there was a lot he wasn’t saying, but it was his hope that maybe, just this once, he mentor wouldn’t press things.
Christian Fitzgerald

While he did look amused at the tree comment, it was easy to tell that Christian saw the semi-truck-sized holes in what Kyler was telling him.  It was better to tease an answer out of the young Irakka than demand one, however, so he kept to questions for the moment.  "What do you remember about the fight?  What was it like going up against her?  What was Marcus doing during it all?"
Kyler Caulfield-Brooks

Right. A more direct question about Marcus. The conversation was quickly beginning to make Ky nervous and, admittedly, were he not seated he would probably have been backing away from the other Irraka.

”I remember most of it, I guess. At least before I completely lost control anyway,” he began as he nervously started rubbing his wedding ring with his thumb.

”I wasn’t as scared as I thought I’d be. There really wasn’t any time to be scared, or to really think about what I was feeling,” he continued. ”I just...did what I could I guess. There were a few times I thought it was over for me.”

It might have been the case had Marcus not been there.

”I did use one of my Gifts to surprise her a little. So, that’s a good thing I guess.”

As he spoke, Kyler wasn’t looking at Christian. Instead, he was just kind of staring at nothing, focusing on anything but his mentor.

”I’m still not a fighter. Probably won’t ever be. I got lucky.”
Christian Fitzgerald

The nervousness wasn't lost on Christian, nodding quietly as Kyler continued.  "That's how it usually tends to go.  If you think too much on what you're doing it can trip you up, but you need to keep your head in the game on some level or you might miss something."

"Oh?  Which one?  And Marcus?"  He wasn't getting away without mentioning his mate that easily, it seemed.  "Did he get involved or did he stay out of it?"