Graven Lore
Offsite Scenes - Printable Version

+- Graven Lore (http://forum.gravenlore.com)
+-- Forum: OOC (http://forum.gravenlore.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: How To Play (http://forum.gravenlore.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Offsite Scenes (/showthread.php?tid=978)

Offsite Scenes - Gracieblove - 04-11-2020

Offsite Scenes

We've recently had renewed interest in opening up additional ways to write IC. There's a lot of different options, and pros and cons to all of those, but we've done some thinking and we want to officially relax our stance on scenes taking place "off site."

Relaxed so far to say the following, "We don't care where you write it, as long as the log is posted on our site."

What's the reason behind us looking at this option now? Speed, access and player interest.

The nature of our shared sandbox is that you don't need a ST to lead all actions or interactions your character is in, but we do need to be able to have some oversight to maintain balance and fairness or mediate disputes as they arise.

But there are some rules and general things to keep in mind.
  • You are not required to write off site.
And you're not allowed to pressure others to do so if they aren't comfortable.
  • Please don't invite us to every scene. 
But please feel free to add us to a scene you think you'll need us in. And you can do this at any point, so when the scene shifts to something that makes you uneasy...press pause and call us in.

We won't be creating "rooms" as Discord allows you to create and leave group chats as needed. Each staff member has a google email you can share docs with if needed. 
  • The least comfortable person still sets the tone.
If you want to narrate, fine. If someone wants to roll dice, then dice get rolled.
If you want NSFW, fine. If the other person wants to fade, you fade.
If you want combat and the other person is worried about it, bring a ST in.

If at any moment, ever, you feel unsure about the direction a scene is taking (no matter if it's being written on the forum or off) please get one of us.

If someone repeatedly abuses the "off site scenes" area to pressure other players into situations they aren't comfortable with, they will be asked to leave the site as a whole.

LET'S TALK ABOUT RETCON 
We try to make sure there is creative license when you write here. But there are times where that license ends, particularly when you're making assumptions or dictating actions of claimed NPC's or other PC's that don't mesh. Sometimes that line is hard to spot.

What happens when you've crossed it? Or when someone accidentally metagames?

We have to go back and fix it. This isn't new, we do this upon occasion now.

When possible, we will talk to the involved players about how to fix this. Sometimes it will take a couple of quick edits, sometimes it's about an ooc conversation/plot, sometimes it's about clearing things with the other player  (Example: Kaylee and Raven want to scene, we asked GingerJondi if she was ok with the idea that Kimmi had "forgotten" she had a patrol that night and had gone to Bedford to see Lucas instead. Jondi was fine with that. Scene progresses.)

Everyone wins when we communicate.

In drastic situations where the change impacts the course of the scene that followed, edits can feel a bit harsher. As always, we reserve the right to delete a scene when all other options fail. We do not want that to happen, but we all need to be aware of the fact that it could. But again, this isn't new. It's been a long time since a scene had to be retconned that far here, but it has happened.

Since we may not see the scene until it's complete, we ask that everyone keep flexible.

Scenes do not happen unless they are posted on the forum.

This means that one of you will have to copy the chat log from your scene and then clean it up for posting. Those of us who have done this before know this can be tedious, but it's important. If you write it off site, even if you want it to be a secret, it never happened if the log isn't posted.  - Do it early, so you don't forget. Or do it often, if it's a long scene.

If no one has time to clean and post a log in a reasonable amount of time, stick to a forum scene. Reasonable is a few days to a week. Not a few weeks to a month. If an emergency comes up that makes you unable, ask another person in the scene or contact Grace.

Style Notes: Headers should be posted. This can get tedious. If you assign one person to edit the post, I suggest each character posts their own header at the start of the scene. Your log may need to take multiple posts because the site has a limit to the number of photos shared in one post. We're sorting out those details. See the next reply for an example of a couple of ways that we're fine with

And let me make your life easier: Always paste your log as plain text first, then edit to make it pretty. Don't try to make it pretty in your doc or discord first. The editor HATES pasted text. 

Finally, some people may use this as a way to have their characters get down and dirty but wont want to post the line by line log. For the log, treat this as a fade. However, if you later expect that your character knows details learned during that fade and we cant verify those details because of the fade, it will still be considered metagaming. 

The only thing we have to go on is what makes it IC to the forums. So if the not fade side of that scene nets you any new details, I'd find a way to get that info into a summary or to bring it back up IC after the fade is over. 

And, as always, this is all part of the growing process.

RE: Offsite Scenes - Gracieblove - 04-11-2020

One prettied up scene example: (Fake scene)

Rue Brooks

Chrysaor Wolfblood | Striking Looks 1 (Adorable) | Small Framed | Presence 3 | Manipulation 3 | Subterfuge (Innocent)

Kimmi Jacobsen

Striking Looks 2 | Barfly 2 | Presence 3 | Maipulation 3 | Resolve 3 | Intimidation 2 (Colossal Bitch) | Socialize 3 | Persuation 3|

[Image: 6df8e66b77db9cd09eb1a21a1473125f.jpg] Rue stood up on the lowest rung of the white-washed fence at the Constant Garden Ranch, the sound of gunfire rang out  in the distance from the firing range as she watched Kimmi cross the field toward the house where Lucas stayed. A sly smile crossed her petite face.

"You know he'll eventually drop you like a 5-pound sack of potatoes," she called out. 

[Image: avatar_a592ca9b9ff1_128.png] Kimmi stopped and turned to face the girl who'd called out to her and narrowed her gaze. She could ignore it. She knew the little twirp was trying to get under her skin. But she wasn't the type to ignore that, so she turned and walked over to the fence. She knew Lucas wouldn't appreciate it. She'd hear about it later. 

"Is that so, little girl? Or are you just jealous that your pack doesn't even bother matching you with a mate because you and your brother are too fucking broken that you're just an embarrassment?"

[Image: 6df8e66b77db9cd09eb1a21a1473125f.jpg] Rue grinned and placed her hand over her heart.

"Oh Kimmi, that hurts right here," she said sarcastically, then her smile vanished and the look on her face turned cold and dark. "Except it doesn't. Because maybe I am broken, but so are you. Everyone knows you come from an abusive family and you're only a cunt so no one can see how broken you really are. But guess what bitch? I could kill you, and I wouldn't think twice about it. So your insults don't bother me...and I can see right through you."

She hopped off the fence and grinned like a happy little girl, giving Kimmi the peace sign and skipped away. 

"Have a nice day bitch!"

Another pretties up example, that's easier (to show, there's no standard):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rue Brooks

Chrysaor Wolfblood | Striking Looks 1 (Adorable) | Small Framed | Presence 3 | Manipulation 3 | Subterfuge (Innocent)

Kimmi Jacobsen

Striking Looks 2 | Barfly 2 | Presence 3 | Maipulation 3 | Resolve 3 | Intimidation 2 (Colossal Bitch) | Socialize 3 | Persuation 3|

RUE BROOKS: Rue stood up on the lowest rung of the white-washed fence at the Constant Garden Ranch, the sound of gunfire rang out  in the distance from the firing range as she watched Kimmi cross the field toward the house where Lucas stayed. A sly smile crossed her petite face.

"You know he'll eventually drop you like a 5-pound sack of potatoes," she called out. 

KIMMI JACOBSEN: Kimmi stopped and turned to face the girl who'd called out to her and narrowed her gaze. She could ignore it. She knew the little twirp was trying to get under her skin. But she wasn't the type to ignore that, so she turned and walked over to the fence. She knew Lucas wouldn't appreciate it. She'd hear about it later. 

"Is that so, little girl? Or are you just jealous that your pack doesn't even bother matching you with a mate because you and your brother are too fucking broken that you're just an embarrassment?"

RUE BROOKS: Rue grinned and placed her hand over her heart.

"Oh Kimmi, that hurts right here," she said sarcastically, then her smile vanished and the look on her face turned cold and dark. "Except it doesn't. Because maybe I am broken, but so are you. Everyone knows you come from an abusive family and you're only a cunt so no one can see how broken you really are. But guess what bitch? I could kill you, and I wouldn't think twice about it. So your insults don't bother me...and I can see right through you."

She hopped off the fence and grinned like a happy little girl, giving Kimmi the peace sign and skipped away. 

"Have a nice day bitch!"

Code:
[f=left][img=50x50]Your image link.[/img][/f]

Use that to make the small ones. Change left or right to switch sides.

RE: Offsite Scenes - Gracieblove - 04-16-2020

While playing with my first log, I realized how messy it was unless we used full headers, but those are so big it was bugging me. I wasn't able to get the forum to respond how I wanted so I added a new custom bb code to help us out.

It works pretty much just like the header codes, except I only made left (if we really want right I can add it later) except it makes the whole thing smaller in scale.
Code:
[log]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdspYDKWIAAe-pZ.jpg | #3878c1 | Benjamin White | Nothing to see here...[/log]

Ends up looking like:

Benjamin White

Nothing to see here...

For my thread (You can see it in action if you click here) I posted the headers in full the first time each character spoke, but then used the log function each time after that. This way you can see the photos more clearly at the start of the scene.